Thursday 13 March 2014

Being Specific

A quotation from Thomas Dubay's Seeking Spiritual Direction: How to Grow the Divine Life Within:
Being Specific. It is easy enough to aspire to great things in general, to entertain grandiose ideas of holiness in other circumstances or later in life, but it is quite another matter to live a perfect life in this present place, with this husband or wife, with this illness or weakness or handicap, in these circumstances. When St. Therese of Lisieux was interrupted in her work by a troublesome nun, she prepared herself specifically to react lovingly in coming episodes which she could foresee. Therese was not content with "I shall be better" in a vague sort of way. She thought out and decided what she had to do in particulars: smile and be gentle. She prepared herself in advance to do just that, to be ready for the annoyance. She was specific. Are my hopes for holiness nebulous and thus ineffectual? Or do I develop concrete plans to be rid of my faults and to acquire the virtues I lack? Do I plan?

No comments:

Post a Comment